NVIDIA and Virtual Reality

Discuss all things to do with Virtual Reality and what equipment you need to get started.
#995 by NvidiaANZ
20-11-2015 22:13
We have just released GameWorks VR 1.0, which includes technology like Multi-Res Shading to deliver up to 50% more performance to Virtual Reality!

Find out more: NVIDIA VR Platforms Deliver Massive Performance Boost for Virtual Reality

*If you are working on a Virtual Reality project, feel free to contact us at VR_nvidia_TASA@nvidia.com

#997 by Aikirob
20-11-2015 23:00
Honestly I'm so hyped about VR, having the ability to be truly lost in another world has always been the zenith of what video games could accomplish and I believe nvidia have what it takes to make that become a reality, they just need the software available to the public when its released so modders and developers can integrate vr into pre existing games as well as newer titles.
#998 by Crystalizer
21-11-2015 08:17
Woah the video is more informative than I was expecting lol

My only gripe with VR at the moment is that there aren't many headsets that I can wear with glasses on. My eye sight sucks ass so using a VR head set without my glasses is just impossible lol ... sure I can wear contact lenses but I'd rather reserve those for sports, where it actually physically makes a difference.
#1007 by gliss
23-11-2015 09:18
Wow nice work Nvidia! That is some great technology you have to offer developers. I managed to get my hands on the PS4 VR at Armageddon back in October and it was a fantastic experience. I cant wait to see what a PC powered VR headset can do.
#2444 by siliconart
10-02-2016 23:56
Can't wait for this!! Thank god for multi GPU setups :woot:
Last edited by siliconart on 10-02-2016 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
#2736 by MeanY
16-02-2016 11:10
I must say Nvidia. I have been super impressed with your hardware/software support for VR. It is great seeing a company take the risk to support new tech and having it pay off. Thumbs up to you!
Originally through oculus dev the experience was quite bad on SLI. But things have improved so much and it is now a smooth experience no matter the game or settings on my current SLI 970 build. Really good to see.

My only gripe with VR at the moment is that there aren't many headsets that I can wear with glasses on.

I have been using the oculus rift DK2 since pre-orders shipped. My wife also occasionally has a go when I find a good experience or game she might like for it. She also wheres glasses. The DK2 has 2 lens sets and adjustable frame so people with glasses can wear them with the headset on without lens contact (Like my wife does). 

I don't know if the CV1 will have this ability to cater for glasses though. I think it now has a fully sealed/closed lens system. I'll try do a review on the forums when my CV1 arrives and get the wife to try it as well to see how it fits with glasses. 

they just need the software available to the public when its released so modders and developers can integrate vr into pre existing games as well as newer titles.

A lot of games have been including support as Oculus got closer to consumer release. An even larger selection of games have been made Oculus compatible via the Vorpx software. There is a pretty decent community using Vorpx and sharing profile setups for the best VR feel in existing games that don't offer out of the box support. 

And to close. It is hard to explain exactly what VR brings to gaming. It is an amazing experience though and really must be tried. It's quite common for people to feel motion sick to start with while getting over the "conditioning period". The best games in my opinion that always get a good reaction are: 
Elite dangerous (Just incredible)
Dread Halls (Best reactions)
Keep talking and no one explodes (So much fun, many arguements with the wife.... cut the wrong damn wire... again.... sigh... I SAID THE BLUE ONE!!)
Last edited by MeanY on 16-02-2016 11:22, edited 4 times in total.
NvidiaANZ awarded 3 points