Logitech MX Master Unboxing

Share unboxings, video game reviews and hardware tests
Welcome to NFan share area, please abide by the rules.
#15911 by J8oot
14-01-2017 20:19

The MX series is Logitech's premium range. Originally starting with the Performance Mx a few years back, and now consisting of the MX Anywhere 2 and MX Master. I purchased myself the latter; I plan to use it for general computer (NOT COMPETITIVE GAMING) use alongside my new Metabox Prime Laptop (See my review of that here): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1924&hilit=metabox
I got the MX Master on sale from JB-HiFi for $99; the sticker price was $129, but online it was listed as $99, so that's what I payed. The Master recently got two new colors (Only one of which is available in Australia from what I can see; but it's a garish beige that looks part of an ancient IBM setup). So, naturally I went with the original Black + Copper colour, which I think looks pretty snazzy.

Let's take a look inside shall we?

Opening the magnetic flap on the front shows the mouse itself in it's clear plastic shield. On the flap there are the simple instructions on how to pair the device. The Master supports both Bluetooth and the classic little WiFi USB dongle we all have 10 of lying around.

The mouse can store memory of 3 different Bluetooth devices, so that you can switch between 3 computers with the press of a button. Fun Fact: It works with android phones! You can actually use any wired USB mouse with an android device using a USB-OTG adapter cable for your device.

Here is the mouse and USB dongle, now take a look at that geometric design on the thumb rest. Do ya think it might have been inspired by a certain company's graphics card design?

Now, this is one of the best reasons to pick this mouse over any other, in my opinion. The horizontal scroll wheel. I know there are those scroll wheels that click lerft and right for horizontal movement across a page, but this is an actual analogue input. It is really smooth and just plain fun to use.

Over on the bottom of the device you can see the buttons. The last one, with 1 2 and 3 above it is the switcher that lets you instantly swap between Bluetooth devices, like laptops or the aforementioned android devices. A lot of desktop PCs now have Bluetooth too. If your device does not have bluetooth, just use the USB wiFi dongle that's included.

I am really excited to get using this mouse; I will be sure to post a full review once I have used it for about a week. Thanks for checking out the unboxing :D
Last edited by J8oot on 14-01-2017 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
#15914 by Wojee
15-01-2017 01:22
I use one of these on my work laptop. I needed to disable the auto-power saving feature in Windows for Bluetooth devices as the cursor would freeze for a few seconds every 5-10 mins.

After a month of daily use the scroll wheel got stuck in freewheel mode and I had to contact Logitech for a replacement. Because I'd bought it at Dick Smith as they were closing down I couldn't return it to my place of purchase so Logitech tech support wanted me to "permanently disable" the mouse and send photographic proof before they'd shop the replacement.
If I can find it I'll post the pic of it smashed to bits.

The replacement has been trouble free for over 6 months and it's a very good productivity mouse that is also decent for gaming.
#15916 by mesaoz
15-01-2017 12:17
Have had my mx master for a while now, I don't use it for overwatch or dota but it's fine for most things that don't need perfect response. The built in smoothing makes it a bit 'elastic' so precision movements can be a bit odd feeling.
#15918 by J8oot
15-01-2017 12:22
Yeah, I know it's not great fro gaming. I only really bought it for use with the Adobe Suite and a little Unity / Unreal Engine work. Seems to do the job well so far.
#15919 by mesaoz
15-01-2017 12:29
J8oot wrote:Yeah, I know it's not great fro gaming. I only really bought it for use with the Adobe Suite and a little Unity / Unreal Engine work. Seems to do the job well so far.

Yeah it's a great mouse for all the adobe gear, most of the suite supports the thumb scroller.
#15921 by J8oot
15-01-2017 12:44
I was working with an 8k image the other day, and when zoomed in it was glorious scrolling side to side. I'm pretty much in love with the horizontal scroll wheel :cheerful:
#15939 by Kizza043
15-01-2017 21:57
A horizontal scroll wheel sounds amazing :D

Sounds really really useful when in Photoshop and other things like that :)

It also looks very small :V
I need something big in my hand or it feels awkward (#TWSS)
#15940 by J8oot
15-01-2017 22:11
The mouse is surprisingly large actually. A little bigger than my Razer DeathAdder, what I usually use for gaming.
#15941 by Kizza043
15-01-2017 23:03
J8oot wrote:The mouse is surprisingly large actually. A little bigger than my Razer DeathAdder, what I usually use for gaming.

Well....i didnt expect it to be that big :P

Perhaps this is the case where it's bigger in real life ;P
(twss)
#15943 by mesaoz
15-01-2017 23:10
Kizza043 wrote:
J8oot wrote:The mouse is surprisingly large actually. A little bigger than my Razer DeathAdder, what I usually use for gaming.

Well....i didnt expect it to be that big :P

Perhaps this is the case where it's bigger in real life ;P
(twss)