Understanding FOV | Ansel Masterclass

Share unboxings, video game reviews and hardware tests
Welcome to NFan share area, please abide by the rules.
#18035 by Cinematic Captures
17-09-2017 20:37
What is FOV                      

Field of view. For those that don’t know what FOV is, picture it as the zoom on a camera. The further you zoom in, the tighter the image gets and the more compressed the background is. The wider you zoom out, the more you can see, although in doing so, the image gets distorted around the edges. This is very useful for game photography as it can allow us to take different and unique shots rather than all at the same FOV. There are different scenarios that I will talk about which require different FOV’s to capture them correctly.

Ghost Recon Wildlands

Tight FOV

Tight FOV is what I use 90% of the time as it has no distortion around the edges and helps the subject stand out. This is usually the most useful for portrait shots, or character shots as it focuses your vision directly on the character rather than the background. You can also use it to cut out distracting objects that were previously in the shot. 

Mass Effect Andromeda

Medium FOV

Medium FOV is what the game is set to at default. It remains unchanged. I don’t often use this as personally I like to be on opposite sides of the spectrum. However, using a medium FOV can be great for shooting long shots of your character. This shows them in their environment and helps get a wider scope of what’s going on around them. 

Conan Exiles

Wide FOV

Wide FOV is usually what you will want to use for taking landscape shots of the environment. In real photography, you would almost always use a wide-angle lens to take shots of landscapes. By shooting at a high FOV in Ansel, you can emulate this look. If you want to be more stylised, you can use a high FOV when taking photos of characters, as stated before, this warps the dimensions of the image and overemphasises certain areas as you get closer. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of this look, however it’s all subjective.

Ark Survival Evolved

Hope this information helps you decide which FOV you are going to use when taking your next shot!

If you want to have a look at any of my work, check out my signature below for links to all my social media. And if you take any awesome photos with Ansel that you want to share, tag me on twitter or leave them in the comments, I’d love to see them!