New gaming monitor

Welcome to the NFAN Australia and New Zealand Community Forums
Please abide by the rules
#8952 by McSquizzy66
19-07-2016 17:07
With the unexpected arrival of my GTX 1080, I find myself in need of a new monitor to make use of my powerful new graphics card.
I have been really interested in an ultra-wide monitor and a monitor with at least 2k resolution. I definitely want more than 90Hz and a high response time.
Some concerns that I have are as follows:
1- I want to use the monitor for PS4 and PC (Not sure which one I use more) Will an ultra-wide be a problem?
2- Will displaying content below native resolution drastically harm picture quality? (Mostly for PS4)
3- Is 2k worth it (Would I be better off with a 1080p monitor)?
4- Is an ultra-wide worth it?!

I'm hoping that someone with experience in this matter can help me :dizzy:
#8957 by mesaoz
19-07-2016 17:29
2k is 1080p, by the way.
2.5k is 1440p
4k is technically 2160p I guess

Anyway, I moved to 1440p years ago, and I'm now running a 4k panel. Any games the will run 60hz on 4k do, anything else I run at 1440p and the scaling is handled fine on that screen.

in general most panels larger than 25inches will display a 1080p image rather poorly at typical monitor viewing distances. if your monitor natively supports true upscaling for hdmi inputs that SHOULDN'T be a problem.

I think the big question comes down to what games you actually play. Many games do NOT support ultrawide, the ones that benefit most from it are racing sims and flight sims. If you play wow, moba, fps or rts just get a straight up 1440p 144hz gsync panel and enjoy it.
Last edited by mesaoz on 19-07-2016 17:31, edited 2 times in total.
#8969 by Vlinkz
19-07-2016 22:57
It's not that you can't play most of the games on the Ultra Wide thou. You can actually do the scaling and play with Full Screen but the taste would be a bit organic. But since you're planning on using the console as well so Ultra Wide would be of some use in a way and the second option that you might wanna look at is whether you're going to look at deep colors or "Are you a Hype type of person?"... 

I do love to see the deep colors as well as keeping my hype stable with the monitor as well but it's either 4k or 200 hz these days... xD
#8978 by StealtH1S1K
20-07-2016 01:42
McSquizzy66 wrote:I definitely want more than 90Hz and a high response time.
1- I want to use the monitor for PS4 and PC (Not sure which one I use more) Will an ultra-wide be a problem?
2- Will displaying content below native resolution drastically harm picture quality? (Mostly for PS4)

I'm hoping that someone with experience in this matter can help me  :dizzy:

Being a long time UWHD user I feel I can point you in a solid direction.
You want more than 90Hz go for a 16:9 or break out your wallet there aren't many ultra wide out there that go over 60Hz.
1- no UW won't be an issue regardless of the input
2- no not really most games now are starting to run with 21:9 if not it can scale and after a lot of use you no longer notice short fat characters 
3-2K I personally wouldn't bother with, for the price you can often go bigger 1080p 
now the best question 
4- It depends on your useage-- 
I do a lot of editing sound and video so UW has the advantage of the real estate to accommodate better zoom on my timelines.
I would not recommend UWHD 21:9 to anyone for purely gaming. The reason is the more often than not 60-75Hz
If you are doing more eg photo or 3D editing etc then it will be worth it and you will love it.
HardwareCanucks ran a good video comparing UW to 4K link here 
Hope this helps
#8993 by McSquizzy66
20-07-2016 11:48
StealtH1S1K wrote:Being a long time UWHD user I feel I can point you in a solid direction.
You want more than 90Hz go for a 16:9 or break out your wallet there aren't many ultra wide out there that go over 60Hz.
2- no not really most games now are starting to run with 21:9 if not it can scale and after a lot of use you no longer notice short fat characters 
3-2K I personally wouldn't bother with, for the price you can often go bigger 1080p 
now the best question 
I do a lot of editing sound and video so UW has the advantage of the real estate to accommodate better zoom on my timelines.
I would not recommend UWHD 21:9 to anyone for purely gaming. The reason is the more often than not 60-75Hz
If you are doing more eg photo or 3D editing etc then it will be worth it and you will love it.
Hope this helps

Hey man thanks heaps for that :)
You talked a lot about refresh rate being an issue for gaming on these monitors. What about the Acer Predator X34? You can "Overclock" the refresh rate of the monitor to 100Hz. Do you think a monitor like this would be ok? I'm not doing video editing or anything, just games and watching movies/videos.
#9000 by StealtH1S1K
20-07-2016 15:49
McSquizzy66 wrote:
StealtH1S1K wrote:Being a long time UWHD user I feel I can point you in a solid direction.
now the best question 
Hope this helps

Hey man thanks heaps for that :)
You talked a lot about refresh rate being an issue for gaming on these monitors. What about the Acer Predator X34? You can "Overclock" the refresh rate of the monitor to 100Hz. Do you think a monitor like this would be ok? I'm not doing video editing or anything, just games and watching movies/videos.

Refresh rate isn't really such an issue as long as you turn off v-sync otherwise some monitors can "tear" the images run at higher FPS than the monitor can draw them.
now I see you want to watch movies too hmmmm - for a lot of movies they don't have 21:9 support 
so if you don't mind the black letterbox on some things top or sides depending on the size go for it.
The only thing with X34 is make sure if you go to get one it's manufacture date is after feb 2016
most people aren't aware the X34 got recalled only 8 months ago-- issue has been fixed but ask about it 
The X34 is one hell of an awesome unit I wish I could afford that price tag on it
#9499 by Paludo
29-07-2016 20:47
I never had any bad experiences with ASUS products.
So, if you want a good one, go for ASUS. 
https://www.asus.com/nz/Monitors/

If you want a gamer one, ASUS ROG is even better (but expensive)
http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gam ... 1469781661

If you want THE BEST
http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/MG28UQ/

If you have a big room and would like to watch movies in a very f**** badass way:
http://www.asus.com/Projectors/
#9504 by SteelCrusaders
30-07-2016 10:26
I just wish 96hz was a standard instead of the Ol 60hz. Unfortunately there's not high refresh rate 4K monitors due to input interface limitations. 

DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 should  and will fix that limitation once it's enabled and hopefully 4K with decent refresh rates will pop up sooner at a price that makes me wanna sell a kidney.

Honestly to me, 96-120hz is the sweet spot for me at any resolution. 

But to answer your question, at this point in time I reckon if you can get the older Asus PG278Q(?), the one that's QHD 144hz G-Sync for cheap. This model has been superceeded by the 165hz 279Q. So possibly the prices may drop alittle. 

I myself is looking for one for cheap! Can't afford new these days.. 
#9508 by Icinix
30-07-2016 14:04
Back in 2008 I bought a Dell 30" 2560x1600 monitor and I'm still using it now. To this day it is as good for games as it is for productivity and have run Xbox, PlayStation and  BluRay Home Theatre in a box with it. All with outstanding results.
My next monitor will be PC gaming only, will be UltraWide. If i was keeping it hooked up to the consoles I would go a 4k because the black side bands annoy the hell out of me, or you'd have distort the image to fill the screen.

In short, for a multi function display, I would maintain the 'standard' aspect ratios. They'll work better natively with more content.

Which works in your favour as well since they'll have higher refresh rates anyway.productivity
#9510 by Paludo
30-07-2016 14:40
McSquizzy66 wrote:With the unexpected arrival of my GTX 1080, I find myself in need of a new monitor to make use of my powerful new graphics card.
I have been really  interested in an ultra-wide monitor and a monitor with at least 2k resolution. I definitely want more than 90Hz and a high response time.

I'm hoping that someone with experience in this matter can help me  :dizzy:

You could also buy a plasma television (yes, they still exhist hahahhahaha). They have an amazing response time, which is the best option for gaming ;)
The response time for LED is 2ms, Plasma TVs have 0,001ms